Monday, November 14, 2011

Administrative Stuff: Dare to dream stupid big

At somepoint in 2001, I was still in high school, working on a yearbook for the graduating year. At that time, we wanted (and got everyone) to write something besides their pictures. It's all too cheesy now to even revisit, but one interesting thing I did back then was to stamp down a date 11-11-11.

...no I didn't predict or call out Skyrim back in 2001.

I think back then, I said I'd give myself 10 years, to make something interesting. Back then, I didn't know much about games other than playing a lot: 10 years, to become lead design on some game, and have it ship on that date, "wouldn't that have been something".

Things never turn out the way they should, oh well. Now here I am, sitting at a Starbucks, hacking up some XML datastruct for a hobby project...

I dreaded that date coming, only because it was pushing ever closer to that "failed goal", but it also made me work that much harder to ship what I'm working on now (yes, I'm still working on it, I blame feature creep).

Eyes bigger than my stomach? Maybe, but you won't get there without dreaming stupid big.

So, see you again at 12-12-12?

No comments:

Post a Comment